April 08, 2005
Department will award scholarships on Honors Day
CARBONDALE, Ill -- The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at Southern Illinois University Carbondale will award $12,000 in scholarships to undergraduate and incoming chemistry majors. These awards will be presented on Sunday, April 10, as part of Honor's Day.
Strengthening and maintaining a substantial undergraduate scholarship program are among the goals of Southern at 150: Building Excellence Through Commitment, a long-range blueprint the University is following as it approaches its 150th anniversary in 2019.
The scholarship recipients, listed by hometown, are:
- Jessica Shroyer, a junior, received the Elbert Hadley Scholarship, worth $1500. She was also awarded the Glen Thurman, Ph.D. memorial scholarship, worth $500, which will be presented to her by Jack Parker, Dean of the College of Science.
- Aaron Brown, an incoming freshman, earned the Lawrence Smith Scholarship, worth $2500.
- Whitney Salter, an incoming freshman, earned the Carl and Janet Jennings Scholarship, worth $1,000.
- Katherine Janssen, an incoming freshman, received the Fred W. Banes Scholarship, worth $1500.
- Patrick McGill, a senior, won the Ken and Clara Carver Scholarship, worth $1000.
- Virginia Wayman, a senior, received the James and Jean Neckers Scholarship, worth $1500.
- Jared Boulds, a senior, earned the Ken and Clara Carver Scholarship, worth $1000.
- Elizabeth Stutzman, and incoming freshman, received the Carl and Janet Jennings Scholarship, worth $1000.
- Ryan Beeler, a senior, earned the Hal Stone Scholarship, worth $1000.