April 06, 2005
SIUC Honors Day ceremonies set for Sunday
CARBONDALE, Ill. — Southern Illinois University Carbondale will recognize 2,059 undergraduate students for academic excellence during Honors Day ceremonies on Sunday, April 10.
The students are currently undergraduates and have a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.5 (on a 4.0) scale for SIUC coursework. For transfer students, the 3.5 grade-point average also applies to their total record. In addition, the students must have reached the benchmarks of 12, 45 or 75 SIUC credit hours since the 2004 Honors Day, or they must be graduating in May.
Students receiving special awards and prizes also receive recognition on Honors Day.
Promoting excellence in undergraduate education is among the goals of Southern@150, the blueprint for the development of the University by the time it celebrates its 150th anniversary in 2019.
Each college hosts its own Honors Day convocation. Here is the schedule:
• Agricultural Sciences, 1:30 p.m., Agriculture Building, Muckelroy Auditorium.
• Applied Sciences and Arts, 1 p.m., Hiram H. Lesar Law Building Auditorium.
• Business and Administration, 1 p.m., Wham Building, Davis Auditorium.
• Education and Human Services, 1 p.m., Shryock Auditorium.
• Engineering, 1:30 p.m., Engineering A111.
• Liberal Arts, 1:30 p.m., McLeod Theater, Communication Building.
• Mass Communication and Media Arts, 1:30 p.m., Lawson Hall, Room 141.
• Science, 1:30 p.m., Student Center Auditorium.• Pre-Major Advisement and Center for Basic Skills, 1 p.m., Pulliam Hall, Furr Auditorium.