October 26, 2004
Fifty students named to Leadership Council
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- Service and learning opportunities will flourish for the 50 students named to the 2004-05 Leadership Council of Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
All incoming students (freshmen or transfer) are eligible to apply for membership in the program, sponsored by the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management. Applicants must document a history of involvement in leadership or co-curricular activities, including community service. Grade-point average and ACT scores also are considered.
The Student Development office coordinates the Leadership Council. Activities for members include a series of social, civic, leadership and educational programs. There also are leadership, education and development opportunities that include conferences and seminars, community service and service learning, special recognition and rewards and networking opportunities.
Council members serve for the academic year. Each receives a $150 book scholarship for each semester, partially funded by the University Bookstore.
Providing opportunities for students to build leadership and interpersonal skills is among the goals of Southern at 150: Building Excellence Through Commitment, the blueprint for the development of the University by the time it celebrates its 150th anniversary in 2019.
Leadership Council members, by hometown, are:
• Annapolis: Carrie A. Drewes, 17609 N. 700th St., daughter of Kathy and Bill Drewes, social work major.
• Arlington Heights: Tim J. McFall, 1220 W. Euclid, son of Jill and Marty McFall, mechanical engineering major.
• Atlanta: Kristin J. Seggerman, 400 SW Third St., daughter of Jan Ragland and John Seggerman of Mason, Ohio, pre-medicine major.
• Beecher: Allison K. Deery, 28101 S. Yates, daughter of Pam and Ted Deery, architectural studies major.
• Belleville: Zach T. Nester, 4306 Mahogany Lane, son of Janice and Gary Nester, electrical engineering major; Brittany A. Pieper, 801 Stone Creek Lane, daughter of Nancy and Brent Pieper, chemistry major.
• Bethalto: Alex J. Campbell, 201 Whispering Oaks Drive, son of Donnell and Steve Campbell, forestry major.
• Carterville: Laura L. Gibson, 601 Arbor Drive, daughter of Paula and Mark Gibson, chemistry major; Denise M. Horein, 704 Pear St., daughter of Catherine Horein and Donald Horein of Watkins Glen, N.Y., physiology major; Danielle K. Macaluso, 403 Marcia Drive, daughter of Darla Macaluso and Sam Macaluso of Marion, paralegal studies major.
• Chester: Lauren Jo Rinne, 3901 Prinrock Lane, daughter of Cathy and Rhett Rinne, business management major.
• Chicago: Kristen M. Cassidy, 11254 S. Drake, daughter of Sharon and Robert Cassidy Jr., elementary education major; Steven R. Platt, 5004 W. Division, son of Linda Platt and Randy Platt of Lake Villa, electronic systems technology major.
• Creal Springs: Ryan M. Finnegan, 128 Pyramid Lane, son of Gwen and Mike Finnegan, radiologic sciences major.
• Dixon: Jenn S. Schmidt, 403 N. Dement Ave., daughter of Jackie and Arthur Schmitt, undecided on major.
• DuQuoin: Terry A. Campanella, 624 W. Main St., son of Linda L. and Frank A. Campanella, computer engineering major.
• East Peoria: Melanie Kristin Cool, 120 Highview Terrace, daughter of Robin and Chris Cool, political science major.
• Elgin: Allison L. Meyer, 821 Van St., daughter of Joanne and Greg Meyer, biology major.
• Fairfield: Mary Ellen Garner, 402 E. Curry St., daughter of Stan and Martha Garner, speech communication major.
• Freeburg: Nikki M. Enderle, 6558 Schiermeier Road, daughter of Karen and Dave Enderle, equine science major.
• Freeport: Stacy R. Lemery, 994 N. Henderson Road, daughter of Colette Brockman, foreign language and international trade major.
• Goreville: Bridget M. Harrison, 15 Lakeshore Drive S., daughter of Laura and Glenn Harrison, biological sciences major; David R. Macak, 130 Lakeshore Drive S., son of Darlene and Donald Macak, electrical engineering major.
• Hanover Park: Samantha C. Pajor, 747 Kent Court, daughter of Karen and Paul Pajor, undecided on major.
• Jerseyville: Michelle L. Myers, 730 County Road, daughter of Nancy and Mark Myers, music business major.
• Manteno: Christopher W. Jarvis, computer science major.
• Morton: Jeff E. Erwin, 826 Sunset Road, son of Pat and Chuck Erwin, mechanical engineering major.
• Moweaqua: Maggie I. Downs, Route 2, daughter of Chris and Duane Downs, pre-veterinary medicine major.
• Murphysboro: Heath A. Koberstein, 28 Louis Wides Drive, son of Jan and Mike Koberstein, accounting major.
• Normal: Jessica L. Pyritz, 209 W. Raab Road, daughter of Eileen and William Pyritz, pre-veterinary medicine major.
• Paris: Danielle N. Whitezel, 402 East Wood St., daughter of Lorelei and Brian Whitezel, pre-medicine major.
• Pontiac: Matt E. Schulz, 17634 E. 1710 N. Road, son of Kim and Ron Schulz, radio-television major.
• Rockton: Katie A. Butera, 224 Foxfire Place, daughter of Kathy Perry, psychology and pre-physical therapy majors.
• St. Joseph: Jessica E. Swinford, 307 E. Prospect, daughter of Douglas Swinford of St. Joseph and Debby Bushnell of Champaign, pre-physician assistant major.
• Sandwich: Max S. Hougham 2609 N. 46th Road, son of Randy and Nancy Hougham, aviation flight major.
• San Jose: Serena I. Blackstock, 214 E. Vine, daughter of Tylinda and Billy Blackstock, civil engineering major.
• South Holland: Chanita R. Jones, 15140 Wabash, daughter of Cheryl Polk, special education and psychology majors.
• Sparta: Monica Ann May, 215 W. Third St., daughter of Danny May of Sparta and Bobbie Sondag of Red Bud, elementary education major.
• Springerton: Pamela R. Venable, 321 W. Cherry St., daughter of Becky and Chuck Venable, cinema and photography major,
• Springfield: Sara N. Reardon, 73 Silver Rod Drive, daughter of Kim Ryan-Reardon and David Reardon, microbiology major; Laura M. Vergler, 3160 Beaver Creek Lane, daughter of Cindy and Mark Vergler, undecided major.
• Staunton: Kyle B. Carpenter, 3204 Country Club Lane, son of Maggie and Tom Carpenter, history major.
• Trilla: Andrea J. Wallace, 764 County Road 1350N, daughter of Wanda and Robert Wallace, pre-major studies.
• Vandalia: Donovan J. Benton, 2213 Kim Drive, son of Brenda and Donald Benton, undecided on major.
• Walnut: Daniel S. Wangelin, P.O. Box listing, son of Susan and Rodney Wangelin, finance management major.
• Washington: Alicia B. Packman, 106 Melvin St., daughter of Julie and Jim Packman, civil engineering major.
• Williamsville: Jennifer L. Methling, 109 Linden Lane, daughter of Connie and Mike Long, photography major.
Nashville: Nathan R. Mitchell, 551 North Camp Mone’to Road, son of Auga and Tommy Gossett, cinema and photography major.
St. Charles: Megan C. Miles, 910 Quince, daughter of Karen A. O’Toole, radiologic sciences major.
Arlington: Katie L. Lowry, 5905 Gary Lane, daughter of Cindy and Brad Lowry, microbiology and physiology majors.