September 28, 2004
Homecoming theme is 'Saluki Celebration'
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- "Saluki Celebration" is the theme for Homecoming 2004 at Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
Festivities include the traditional king and queen election, a pep rally under the lights, recognition of the Class of 1954, the opportunity to be part of an historic photo at Morris Library and of course, the Homecoming football contest on Saturday, Oct. 2, between the Salukis and the Panthers of the University of Northern Iowa.
Here's the schedule of Homecoming events:
Tuesday, Sept. 28
- King and queen elections; Student Center Hall of Fame area, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.; Student Recreation Center, 3-7 p.m.
Thursday, Sept. 30
- Toga Party, Student Center Bowling and Billiards area, 6-9 p.m.
- SIU Alumni Association/SIU Foundation joint board reception, 6:30 p.m., Student Center Old Main Lounge.
- Student Programming Council film, "Spider Man 2," Student Center Auditorium, 7 p.m., $4 general admission, $3 students.
Friday, Oct. 1
- Dental Hygiene Professional Seminar, 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m., Student Center. For more information, contact SIUC Continuing Education at 618/536-7751.
- SIU Alumni Association/SIU Foundation joint board of directors meeting, 10-11:30 a.m., Student Center fourth floor Video Lounge.
- Half Century Club/Class of 1954 registration, 10-11:30 a.m., Student Center Ballroom A.
- SIU Alumni Association/SIU Foundation board of director and Class of 1954 luncheon, noon, Student Center Ballroom B.
- Morris Library Community Photo, 1:45 p.m., Morris Library main entrance. Faculty, staff, students, alumni and community members are invited to be part of an historic photo of Morris Library. The photo will mark the end of an era and the beginning of a new one, as the renovation/expansion project will begin soon. Photo will be taken at 2 p.m. Refreshments and prizes provided; free T-shirts to the first 1,000 participants.
- Distinguished Alumni Reception, 2:30 p.m., Student Recreation Center Alumni Lounge.
- University Museum celebrates its 130th year with music and the opening of major exhibitions. Music by Banjovi and Loose Gravel. 4-7 p.m., University Museum, Faner Hall. Admission is free.
- Chemistry department seminar, "Analytical challenges in determination of perfluoroalkyl substances in biological and environmental samples," by alumnus Bogdan Szostek, 4 p.m., Neckers Building, Room 240.
- Half Century Club reception and banquet, 5:30 p.m., Student Center Ballroom D.
- Student Programming Council film, "Spider Man 2," Student Center Auditorium, 7 p.m. and 9:30 p.m., $4 general admission, $3 students.
- Homecoming pep rally under the lights, 8:30-9:15 p.m., McAndrew Stadium. Featuring the Saluki football team and Coach Jerry Kill, the Marching Salukis, the spirit squads and many giveaways.
Saturday, Oct. 2
- Homecoming Parade, 9:30-11:30 a.m. The parade starts at the corner of South University Avenue and Mill Street, traveling north on University Avenue to Cherry Street, then east to South Illinois Avenue, and south to McAndrew Stadium. It features about 100 units, including 20 marching bands. Grand marshal for the parade will be Curt Jones, a two-degree graduate of SIUC in microbiology and the inventor of Dippin' Dots@ Ice Cream and the head of its production and franchising companies.
- SIU Alumni Association "Big Tent" and tailgate, 10:30 a.m.-1 p.m., east side of McAndrew Stadium, music, college displays and door prizes, complimentary lunch and beverages. Several University dignitaries and guests also will be in attendance.
- Football game, 1:30 p.m., Salukis take on Northern Iowa at McAndrew Stadium. Crowning of homecoming king and queen at halftime.
- Student Programming Council film, "Spider Man 2," 7 and 9:30 p.m., Student Center Auditorium; tickets are $3 and $4.
- 33rd annual Miss Eboness Pageant, 6:30 p.m., Shryock Auditorium. Tickets are $8 in advance, $10 day of show and are available only at the Student Center central ticket office. An after-pageant party follows, 10 p.m.-2 a.m., SIU Arena. Sponsored by Alpha Phi Alpha.
- Alumni specials at Student Center bowling and billiards: bowling for $1.50 per game, $1 shoe rentals, $2.50 per hour billiards Thursday 9 a.m.-11 p.m., Friday 9 a.m.-12:30 a.m., Saturday 10 a.m.-12:30 a.m. and Sunday, noon-11 p.m.
- Alumni specials at the Student Recreation Center, free use of facilities ($2 fully refundable deposit required): Friday 5:30 a.m.-10 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m.-10 p.m. and Sunday 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Free boat rental at Campus Boat Dock.