September 09, 2004
Museum sponsoring fun workshops for kids
CARBONDALE, Ill. - - A number of creative activities for kids ages seven to 14 will be available from 1:30-3:30 p.m. on selected Saturday afternoons at the University Museum at Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
All but one of the offerings is free but participants should pre-register by phone. The museum, in the north wing of Faner Hall and behind Shryock Auditorium, is sponsoring the series.
Call Robert D. DeHoet, museum education coordinator, at 618/453-5388 weekdays to reserve a spot.
The fall semester offerings are:
- Sept. 11 -- " Create a Creature: Fossil Creaturama" - - Learn about
- fossils, draw imaginary creatures inspired by them and receive a fossil rock of your very own.
- Sept. 18: " Nature Photo Collage" - - Compose a collage with pictures you or others take around campus, $5.
- Nov. 6: " Found Object Sculpture" - - Bring small items you've found or use the ones provided to create a sculpture.
- Dec. 4: " Printmaking for the Holiday" - - Make monoprints in festive themes.
- Dec. 11: " Holiday Toys" - - Create toys popular in pioneer times.