August 11, 2004
Week of Welcome kicks off SIUC's fall semester
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- Southern Illinois University Carbondale will roll out the red carpet next week for new and returning students.
Beginning Friday, Aug. 20, a variety of events will welcome students to campus for the fall semester, which begins Aug. 23.
Highlights of the annual "Week of Welcome" include:
Friday, Aug. 20:
- New students move in to residence halls. To minimize waiting times, University Housing asks that students and their families follow this schedule: Last name begins with letters A-G, 7-9:30 a.m.; H-O, 9:30 a.m.-noon; P-Z, noon-2:30 p.m.; open move-in, 2:30-4 p.m.
- Campus office hours, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Student IDs, second floor of the Student Center, 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Campus and community tours, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; meet at the main entrance to the Student Center.
- New student picnic at four University Housing move-in locations, 10:30 a.m.-3 p.m. New students and their families can take a break from moving in and enjoy free food at Brush Towers, University Park, Thompson Point and University Hall.
- World of Welcome, 11 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Student Recreation Center. Welcome and pizza social for all new international students.
- Carbondale Community Information Expo, 1-5 p.m., Carbondale Civic Center. Students and their families will receive an introduction to city services, including police department, fire department, city clerk's office and water and sewer department. Carbondale businesses will have tables of information, including giveaways and opportunities for off-campus employment.
- Welcome Fest, 7 p.m., SIU Arena. Chancellor Walter V. Wendler welcomes students and their families to campus and Carbondale Mayor Brad Cole also will speak. Following the program, the Carbondale Chamber of Commerce, Carbondale Main Street, local business owners and various departments will offer free food, beverages and give-aways. The Marching Salukis, cheerleaders, mascots and Saluki Shakers also will participate.
Saturday, Aug. 21:
- Returning Student Move-In, residence halls, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Student IDs, second floor of the Student Center, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Academic orientation at individual colleges, 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Campus and community tours, 12:30-5 p.m., main entrance to the Student Center.
- "Meet Me on Main Street" scavenger hunt and welcome celebration, 1-5 p.m., Town Square Pavilion, downtown Carbondale. Live music, free food, free information and business open houses. Transportation will be available from the Student Center to Town Square.
- Making College Count and hypnotist Frederick Winters, 7:30 p.m., Student Center Ballrooms. Making College Count is a free interactive presentation for all first-year students. There will be free gift bags. Hypnotic fun with Winters begins immediately after the interactive session.
Sunday, Aug. 22:
- Student IDs, 11 a.m.-4 p.m., second floor of the Student Center.
- Intervarsity Christian Fellowship Luau Beach Party, 6-8 p.m., campus lake beach. Open to all, free food and music.
- Thursday, Aug. 26:
- First Thursday, 11 a.m.-11 p.m., Student Center. This is a free event designed to inform students about services available throughout the Student Center.
- RSO Fair, 6-8 p.m., International Lounge, Student Center.
- Sunday, Aug. 29:
- Sport Fest 2004, time to be announced, lighted play field east of the Arena. Events include tug-o-war, volleyball, flag football, softball, dodge ball and home run derby.