April 28, 2016
Free ‘Films on the Field’ planned for summer
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- Southern Illinois University Carbondale will host a series of outdoor family fun nights this summer.
Beginning May 20 and continuing through July 8, popular movies will be shown once a week under the stars in Saluki Stadium. All “Films on the Field” are free and open to the public. Each show begins at 7:30 p.m.; gates open at 6:45 p.m.
The schedule includes:
- May 20 -- “Zootopia,” a 2016 Disney animated action/adventure about the first rabbit to join the police force and her efforts to solve a mysterious case, rated PG.
- May 26 -- “Back to the Future,” the 1985 classic fantasy featuring Michael J. Fox as small-town teenager Marty McFly travelling 30 years back into the past in a modified DeLorean where he encounters his parents as teenagers and has the chance to change the future, rated PG.
- June 2 -- “Allegiant,” the 2016 science fiction action/adventure/mystery, part of “The Divergent Series,” about a futuristic society in which a group tries to escape the walls enclosing Chicago, rated PG-13.
- June 9 -- “Finding Nemo,” the 2003 animated film about the quest by clown fish Marlin to find his captured son Nemo, rated G.
- July 8 -- “The Jungle Book,” the 2016 animated Disney family adventure about the orphaned boy, Mowgli, and his jungle journey of self-discovery. Bill Murray, Ben Kingsley and a cast of stars provide the animals’ voices in the tale based on Rudyard Kipling’s classic book.
Films on the Field is sponsored by SIU’s Student Programming Council and Extended Campus in conjunction with SIU Athletics. Concessions, including soda, popcorn and candy, will be available for purchase at the stadium.