September 17, 2019
Lift off to career success at SIU’s Launch Professional Development Conference
CARBONDALE, Ill. — A new professional development event at Southern Illinois University Carbondale can help you prepare for career success or lift off to a new level.
The inaugural 2019 Launch Professional Development Conference is set for Oct. 8 from 1 to 4:30 p.m. at the Student Center Auditorium and everyone is welcome to attend.
Speakers touch on many topics
The conference will feature five different speakers, each focusing on a specific way in which you can propel yourself toward the future you want. The presentations will be fast-paced, inspiring, and reminiscent of the popular “TED Talks.”
The guest speakers, along with their titles and presentation topics, include:
- Jeff McGoy, director of SIU Exploratory Student Advisement – Launch Your Passion.
- Vamsi Manne, associate director of SIU Student Center Programs – Launch Your College Experience.
- Nic Skovgaard, founder of AlterEgo Marketing – Launch Your Personal Brand and Career.
- Deborah Barnett, director of Business Incubator Programs at SIU’s Office of Innovation and Economic Development – Launch Your Innovation.
- Jennifer Olson, president and CEO of the Carbondale Chamber of Commerce – Launch Your Connections.
Free and open to all
There is no cost to attend the conference. SIU students, faculty and staff are welcome as are members of the community. Space is limited, so pre-registration is required. Spaces will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
While sponsors are hopeful participants will stay all afternoon, people are welcome to come and go as needed to fulfill school or work obligations.
Sign up online at launch.siu.edu.
Light refreshments will be served.
Sponsors and partners include: SIU’s Office of Innovation and Economic Development, Career Development Center, Saluki Ventures and Saluki Entrepreneur Corps along with Carbondale Young Professionals, AlterEgo Marketing and MARP-U.
For more information, visit the website, call 618/536-2424 or email incubator.siu.edu.
Additional events planned
Plans call for having similar free events with inspirational themes periodically. The Oct. 8 Launch event kicks off a speaker series, being held in collaboration with SIU’s College of Business.
The fall Launch Speaker Series lineup and schedule, with all events slated for 5:30 p.m., includes:
- 9 – Jill Johnson of Cool Spoons presenting “Launch Your Passion,” Student Center Old Main Room.
- 23 – Curt Jones founder of 40 Below Joe and Dippin’ Dots with “Launch Your College Experience,” Dunn-Richmond Economic Development Center.
- 6 – Bridget Lescelius of Saluki AdLab presenting “Launch Your Personal Brand,” Dunn-Richmond Economic Development Center.
- 20 – Kim Babington of SIU Credit Union with “Launch Your Career,” Student Center Old Main Room.
Mark your calendars now as plans are in the works for spring 2020 sessions including:
- 5 – Launch Your Connections.
- 19 – Launch Your Innovative Idea.
- March 4 – Innovation and Entrepreneurship Day.
More information about the spring events will be coming soon.