May 15, 2019
SIU’s 41st annual Sunset Concert Series kicks off June 13
CARBONDALE, Ill. — Is there a better way to spend a summer evening than listening to wonderful music in the great outdoors? It’s even better when the fun is free. That popular Carbondale tradition – the Sunset Concert Series – is kicking off its 41st season on June 13 and everyone is welcome.
The free outdoor concerts are slated for 7 p.m. each Thursday evening through July 25, with the exception of the July 4 holiday. The location rotates between three different venues, the traditional two spots along with a downtown location, which was added last year. The concert settings are:
- The steps of Shryock Auditorium on the SIU campus.
- Carbondale’s Turley Park.
- The corner of Washington Street and Illinois 13, across from the Newell House.
Music for all ages and tastes
The 2019 Sunset Concert lineup features a wide variety of musical genres, from blues to rock to country and more. The schedule, including the locations and a little information about each performance, includes:
- June 13 – Donovan Keith, a soul rock, dance-infused act from Austin, Texas. Shryock Auditorium Steps.
- June 20 – The Josephines, a self-proclaimed “rag-tag group of rock-n-roll-drenched country hoodlums” from Bowling Green Kentucky, playing alternative county. Turley Park.
- June 27 – Sweet Crude, a drum-driven pop band from southern Louisiana performing high-energy tunes in English and French. Corner of Washington Street and Illinois 13.
- July 4 – no concert; enjoy the Independence Day holiday.
- July 11 – Raging Fyah, reggae and contemporary island tunes straight from Kingston, Jamaica. Corner of Washington Street and Illinois 13.
- July 18 – Christone “Kingfish” Ingram, soulful blues by the singer/songwriter prodigy from Clarksdale, Mississippi. Turley Park.
- July 25 – Bottletones, the Carbondale-born, Chicago-based group performs a mix of rockabilly, surf, punk and psychobilly. The band played the local music scene in the mid-1990s and was a requested act by the Carbondale in the ‘80s and ‘90s Facebook group, which recently established the B.E.E.R scholarship at SIU. All but one of the band’s members are SIU alumni, attending in the late ‘80s and early ‘90s. Shryock Auditorium steps.
Food on site or bring your own
Various refreshments will be available for purchase on site. Or, bring your own snacks and drinks. To assure everyone has a safe, enjoyable experience, the rules prohibit glass bottles, pets, smoking and solicitation. Underage drinking laws will be enforced and those attending may only bring single-serve containers.
Participants are also encouraged to bring blankets or lawn chairs so they can relax and enjoy the entertainment.
Several campus and city entities work together to make the Sunset Concert Series happen. Sponsors include the SIU Student Programming Council and Student Center, the Carbondale Park District and the city of Carbondale.
For additional information about the 2019 Sunset Concert Series, contact the Office of Student Engagement at 618/4535714, visit the website at studentcenter.siu.edu/sunsetconcerts, or follow the Student Center on Facebook or Twitter.