June 06, 2016
Media Advisory -- Summer Camps through June 18
Southern Illinois University Carbondale is kicking off another busy schedule of summer camps that offer numerous opportunities for reporters, photographers and news crews to obtain interesting activity stories, photographs and video. Conference and Scheduling Services coordinates most of the camps, while Touch of Nature Environmental Center, Saluki athletics and other campus units handle others.
The 2016 summer camp schedule through June 18, along with a brief description of each camp, opportune times to capture good stories, photographs or footage, and contact information for each camp, includes:
- Camp Little Giant, the therapeutic recreation camp for children and adults of differing abilities, is offering two camp sessions during this period. Camp Olympia I is June 12-17 and Camp Olympia II is June 12-24. Both are for adults 21 and older with high care needs, low mobility or wheelchair needs. The camps take place at Touch of Nature Environmental Center, located about eight miles south of Carbondale off Giant City Road, and provide a true summer camp experience. To arrange a visit or for more information, contact Vicki Lang-Mendenhall at 618/453-1121, ext. 231, or by email at email@example.com.
- Two EdVenture summer camps are set during this time period at Touch of Nature, which is hosting 14 camps this summer for children and youths of various ages and the schedule kicks off with two overnight camps.
- Adventures are Underway Overnight Camp is June 13-17 for ages 10-13. Part of the Explorers camp schedule, the camp includes outdoor adventures in hiking, canoeing, the rope course and other classic camp traditions.
- Leadership Overnight Camp is June 13-17 for ages 13-15. This is part of the Voyageurs camp series and gives campers the opportunity to learn and enhance their leadership skills as they partake in challenge courses, service-learning exercises, short expeditions and hands-on leadership activities under the guidance and mentorship of experienced Touch of Nature staff members.
To schedule a visit to either of these camps, or for more information, contact Touch of Nature at 618/453-1121 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Summer Wings Aviation Camp, June 12-17, gives high school students the chance to learn about aviation and actually experience the thrill of flight. Weather permitting, students will be taking their introductory flight from 9 a.m. to noon on June 14 and their second flight from 4 to 5 p.m. on June 15, both at the Southern Illinois Airport. Media are welcome to cover either flight. Contact Lorelei Ruiz at email@example.com or 618/453-9265 or Leslie Brock at firstname.lastname@example.org or 618/453-1141.
- Challenge to Excellence I brings academically talented students in grades 6-8 to campus June 12-17 for an experience that includes interesting classes and experiences to promote higher levels of critical thinking and creativity. Media are invited to cover a bowling outing from 6 to 7 p.m. on June 14 at the Student Center Bowling Alley. For additional information, contact Rose Moroz at 618/453-4265 or by email at email@example.com or Jackie Welch at 618/453-5672 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Saluki Baseball Camp is June 13-16 for ages 7-13. Participants in this commuter camp will learn the fundamentals of hitting, pitching, fielding, playing the infield and outfield and working at specific positions as well as running bases. Media are invited to Abe Martin Field on June 16 from 1 to 3:30 p.m. as campers slide down the hill. To learn more, call Ken Henderson at 618/453-3794 or email him at email@example.com or contact Ryan Strain at 618/453-7645 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Radio and TV News Camp is an overnight camp June 12-17 for young women in grades 9-12. They will learn broadcast writing, producing, videography, editing and field reporting skills. Participants will be broadcasting news from 9:30 a.m.to noon on June 17 in Studio B at the Mass Communications Building and media are welcome to attend. For more information, contact Alicia Guebert at 618/453-3472 or email@example.com or Sarah VanVooren at 618/453-3472 or firstname.lastname@example.org.