February 23, 2016
Winners of Accounting Challenge announced
CARBONDALE, Ill. – The individual and team winners of the 18th annual Accounting Challenge at Southern Illinois University Carbondale have been announced.
The School of Accountancy in SIU’s College of Business sponsored the two-part event, which included individual and team tests, on Feb. 19. About 20 high schools and three community colleges participated in written tests and a hands-on creative challenge.
Individual students earning the highest scores in the three divisions of the academic challenge earned certificates along with scholarships worth up to $500 if they attend SIU and major in accounting. The team building contest winners received trophies for their schools and for individual team members.
Winners of the individual contest, listed by division along with their schools and the potential scholarship amounts, are:
Accounting I - High School
- First - Johnathan Bryan, Centralia High School, $500.
- Second - Jonathan Payne, Mt. Vernon High School, $300.
- Third - tie, Daniel Huggins, Pinckneyville High School, Drew Reed, Centralia High School, and David Robbins, Carterville High School, $200 each.
Advanced Accounting II - High School
- First - Victoria Birchem, O’Fallon High School, $500.
- Second - Spencer Woll, O’Fallon High School, $300.
- Third - tie, Cameron Beers of Marion High School and Parker Moses, Flora High School, $200 each.
- First - Megan Cain, Southeastern Illinois College, $500
- Second - tie, Brandon Arrowood, Shawnee Community College, and Brian Adams, John A. Logan College, $300 each.
- Third - Olivia Christian, Southeastern Illinois College, $200.
Winners of the team competition, listed by division with school and team members, are:
Accounting I Team
- First - O’Fallon High School: Charlie Eccher, Jhavont’e Hazlitt, Spencer Woll.
- Second - Edwards County High School: Maverick Troyer, Faith Fisher, Olivia Loudermilk, Hannah Rotramel, Tayler Hayes, Maddy McKinney.
Accounting II, Advanced Team
- First, Marion High School: Alyssa Taylor, Sam Redd, Nicole Plumlee.
- Second- Nashville High School: Ethan Small, Megan Williams, Hayden Heggemeier, Drew Barczewski, Brady Bultman.
Community College Team
- First, Shawnee Community College: Alicia Chase, Jon-David Johnston, Evan Hughey, Brandon Arrowood, Ashley Graham.
Josh Lohmann, a senior accounting and finance major from Nashville, and Kyle Adams, a senior accounting major from Carterville, were the coordinators of the 2016 Accounting Challenge.