35th annual Sunset Concert series begins June 13
May 14, 2013
By Christi Mathis
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- A popular summer tradition makes its 35th annual appearance in Carbondale beginning June 13, as the Sunset Concert Series opens its 2013 season.
There will be free concerts every Thursday thereafter in June and July, with the exception of Independence Day. The venue will alternate between the steps of Shryock Auditorium on the Southern Illinois University Carbondale campus and Turley Park, on Carbondale’s west side.
The University’s Student Center and Student Programming Council along with the city of Carbondale and the Carbondale Park District sponsor the concerts and everyone is welcome to attend. The events are family friendly, with those attending encouraged to bring their blankets and lawn chairs.
Music-lovers will discover an eclectic variety of music, ranging from Zydeco to Latin or Indie rock, from funk and vintage soul to reggae and rhythm and blues.
Each performance begins at 7 p.m. and lasts about two hours. The 2013 Sunset Concert Series schedule features:
- June 13 -- Space Capone, Shryock, rhythm and blues/funk/soul, www.spacecapone.com.
- June 20 -- Dwayne Dopsie and the Zydeco Hellraisers, Turley Park, Zydeco, www.dwaynedopsie.com.
- June 27 -- Rico, Shryock, Latin rock, www.ricojams.com.
- July 4 -- holiday, no concert.
- July 11 -- The Right Now, Shryock, vintage soul/rhythm and blues, www.therightnow.com.
- July 18 -- The Kopecky Family Band, Turley Park, Indie rock, www.kopeckyfamilyband.com.
- July 25 -- The Ark Band, Shryock, reggae, www.thearkband.com
To assure a safe and enjoyable time for all attending, there are a few restrictions. Rules prohibit glass bottles, kegs, pets and solicitation. There will be strict enforcement of underage drinking laws. Regulations permit responsible use of alcohol within designated areas, but only from 6 p.m. until the end of each show.
For more information about the 2013 Sunset Concert Series, contact the Student Programming Council at 618/536-3393 or visit online at www.studentcenter.siu.edu.