July 11, 2012
Saluki Startup seeking campus volunteers
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- The welcoming atmosphere, the feeling of being at home -- those are among the factors many new students cite as reasons for choosing Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
Saluki Startup, Aug. 15-19, is a series of social and informative events designed to welcome new students to the SIU Carbondale community. Saluki Startup needs volunteers, and who better to welcome new students than members of the campus community?
There are plenty of opportunities during the week’s activities for volunteers to get involved. Volunteer options range from helping students move into the residence halls to assisting with the New Student Convocation or Dawgs Nite Out.
Plans are still being finalized, but here is a list of activities set to make Saluki Startup a memorable beginning to students’ SIU Carbondale experience. Volunteers are needed at all events.
• Aug. 15 -- Free Cook-out, 10:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m., Trueblood, Grinnell, Lentz, and University halls; Family Reception, 7-9 p.m., SIU Carbondale Student Recreation Center
• Aug. 16 -- Free Cook-out, 10:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m., Trueblood, Grinnell, Lentz, and University halls; Family Reception, 7-9 p.m., SIU Carbondale Student Recreation Center; WelcomeFest, 7-9 p.m., SIU Carbondale Student Recreation Center
• Aug. 17 -- Saluki Survival Skills, 1-4:30 p.m., locations vary by college; Chancellor’s New Student Convocation, 5-6 p.m., SIU Arena; Southern Social, 6-8 p.m., Saluki Stadium; Dawgs Nite Out, 8-midnight, SIU Carbondale Student Center
• Aug. 18 -- Meet Carbondale, 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Trueblood and Lentz Dining Halls; Houses of Faith, 5-6 p.m., Rinella Field; Sizzlin’ Saluki Barbeque, 6-8 p.m., Rinella Field; Comedy Hypnotist Joshua Seth, 8-10 p.m., Student Center Ballroom D; Late Nite Movie, “Men in Black 3,” 10 p.m., Saluki Stadium.
• Aug. 19 -- WatermelonFest with the Chancellor, 2-3:30 p.m., Morris Library lawn; Classroom Tours, 3:30-5:30 p.m., start at Morris Library.
Other opportunities to make students welcome by volunteering continue with the Week of Welcome, Aug. 19-25. Details on the Week of Welcome will be available soon.
“These events offer the SIU Carbondale community the opportunity to be at the front door of the University to welcome new students and their families,” Phil Campbell, coordinator for New Student Programs, said.
Volunteers who sign up in advance receive a T-shirt identifying them as a volunteer. Departments, colleges and Registered Student Organizations can volunteer as groups, and will be able to print their official identifier on the back of the shirt.
Visit the class of 2016 Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/groups/SIUCarbondaleClassof2016/ to check out the latest photos and catch any last-minute updates to the program.
For more information about the Saluki Startup events, visit SalukiStartup.siu.ed. Contact New Student Programs at 618/453-1000 or at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. An online volunteer form will be available soon.